EVE Tweet Fleet
Aethlyn's Quarter

Friday, July 15, 2011

Dress to Impress?

So, upon login I encountered a new EVE promotion greeting me:

Dress to impress promotion

Well, I'm not really sure on what I should think about this so called promotion. It's definitely meant to advertise for the new NeX store - something that's actually not hard to guess, given there's a bright red NeX logo included. But no other text, so it's meant to impress me? By the image? Or is it just meant to be funny? I'm not really sure. At least now I know there’s a NeX page on the Incarna site.

As we all know, those login screen advertisements are trying to be a bit funny or interesting. Many might remember the rainbow promotion introducing the new forums or the suggestion to waste the last night on earth playing EVE if the world’s ending anyway. But I wouldn't consider this rendition interesting, sexy or a good pun. In fact I'm even tempted to call it a fail.

The basic idea and promise of the image aren't that bad. I'd even consider it being a good idea. However there's something else causing me to see it as a failed campaign. Dress to impress. So I should buy one of these skirts or a pair of boots for my character to impress others. Alright. It's just somewhere around 300-400 million ISK per item I think. I'll get fancy new dressing options in character re-customization and I'll impress others the moment I finish the process.

Wait! You can't see any clothing except some parts of the upper body stuff, e.g. shirts, vests and such. You can't see the boots nor the skirt right now. That will have to wait till we get the more complete "Walking in Stations" (WiS) experience later this year. So why advertise with the most "useless" NeX store items now? Is it just an attempt to make it look sexy? Or should that be fun, essentially talking about impressing others with stuff they can’t see?

The whole "visible in avatar images only" makes these NeX items, especially boots, trousers and skirts, far less attractive for the moment. Why wear them if others can't see them? Only to see them myself? Well, I'm not sold on this idea yet. I might consider getting some outfit once I'm really able to impress others as long as it won't trigger any kill-on-sight responses upon undocking from a station or entering a new solar system. But it’s definitely too early to buy any lower body stuff to impress others.

Labels: