EVE Tweet Fleet
Aethlyn's Quarter

Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Dare to Jump?

This is something I think is really interesting about EVE and something I never experienced in other MMORPGs. Maybe it’s due to missing “factial expressions” on spaceships. It’s easy to try to get some montage of some action sequence or emote. But it’s a lot harder to take a random screenshot and later on notice some feeling you haven’t had in mind when taking it. It never happened to me in any other game so far.

In EVE there are sometimes these moments where you think “wow, nice angle” or “wow, nice shadowing” or in general just any “wow, nice [anything]”. I made the following screenshot on 1st August, so it’s been some time already. I just wanted to grab a nice image of the Incursion godrays/shadows on the gate structure. In the end the screenshot didn’t turn out to be as epic as I imagined, so I left it alone.

Now, while trashing old screenshots I no longer wanted to keep, I opened that specific screenshot once more. I somehow could feel some emotion inside the picture I didn’t notice before. “I’m approaching the jump gate. Do I really dare to actually jump?” By moving the camera down a bit to concentrate on the gate (or more specific: to concentrate on the godrays) I completely ignored my ship resulting in this image. It feels like taken from some kind of science fiction movie or series where the camera pans down to view that gate while the ship approaches. Maybe I should add it to the EVE Is Real site – seeing this image now was some real “wow” moment for me.

Date to Jump?

Labels: